Getting around on a bicycle has become extremely popular in Rock Hill and communities throughout South Carolina. Unfortunately, it is not always a safe activity. Motorists often fail to respect the rights of cyclists and share the road safely with them, and they cause collisions that can result in life-changing injuries for cyclists.
At McKinney, Tucker & Lemel, LLC, our attorneys aggressively protect the rights of cyclists. If a careless or reckless motorist injured you while you were biking, we will provide the focused, responsive, straightforward and dedicated legal representation that you need. Above all, we will fight for all compensation that you are entitled to receive. Contact us today for a free consultation and learn more about how we can assist you.
Common Causes of Bicycle Accidents in Rock Hill
Most bicycle accidents in Rock Hill result from the negligence of car and truck drivers. Our attorneys at McKinney, Tucker & Lemel, LLC, often work with cyclists who were hurt in accidents that involved:
- Distracted driving – If a driver is texting, talking on a phone, or interacting with passengers instead of looking at the road, the driver may fail to see a cyclist.
- Impaired driving – When a driver consumes drugs or alcohol, the driver can quickly lose the judgment and physical ability to share the road safely with others.
- Failing to check mirrors – Drivers can also fail to see cyclists if they don’t look in their mirrors before turning or pulling out of a driveway or parking spot.
- Failing to yield the right of way – Motorists often crash into cyclists when they fail to yield to them at intersections as the law requires.
- Passing too closely – South Carolina law requires motorists to leave at least three of space when they pass cyclists. When they fail to follow this law, motorists can collide with cyclists or run them off the road.
- Dooring – When drivers open their car doors without checking to see if a cyclist is approaching, the cyclist can slam into the door and suffer severe injuries.
If a car or truck driver caused your bicycle accident, then you owe it to yourself to learn about your rights and the options available to you for recovering compensation. Get in touch with McKinney, Tucker & Lemel, LLC, to learn more.
Common Injuries in Rock Hill Bicycle Accidents
Unfortunately, a cyclist can sustain many different types of injuries in an accident. Some of the most common injuries among the cyclists we assist in Rock Hill are:
- Traumatic brain injuries
- Facial injuries
- Broken bones
- Neck injuries
- Spinal cord injuries
- Road rash
- Soft tissue damage (tendon and ligament injuries)
- Back injuries.
Our attorneys know how devastating these injuries can be for bike accident victims and their families, especially if the victim is a child. If the negligence of a motorist caused you to suffer severe injuries, we will work tirelessly to purse the compensation that you deserve.
Compensation for Bike Accident Victims in Rock Hill
Several different types of damages may be available in a bicycle accident claim. If you were hurt in a Rock Hill bike accident, you could be eligible to recover compensation for:
- Medical costs – It is important to pursue compensation for past expenses as well as medical costs that you will incur in the future due to the need for rehabilitation and other ongoing treatment.
- Lost wages – Due to your injuries, you may be unable to work for a long period of time. Many bike crash victims cannot go back to work at all or return to their old job.
- Pain and suffering – These damages are available to compensate for the physical pain and suffering that a bicycle accident causes you to experience.
- Emotional distress – A bike accident may cause you to suffer emotional trauma, which can be as debilitating as any physical injury.
- Loss of enjoyment of life – If your injuries prevent you from enjoying the activities that you once loved, you can pursue compensation for that loss.
Under South Carolina’s modified comparative negligence law, your compensation can be reduced if you are found to have contributed to your injuries. For instance, if you are found to be 20 percent at fault, your compensation would be reduced by 20 percent. If you are more than 50 percent at fault, you would be barred from recovering any compensation for your losses.
Insurance companies often try to use this law to deny or minimize the amount which bike accident victims recover in personal injury claims. However, at McKinney, Tucker & Lemel, LLC, you can count on us to vigorously challenge any unfounded insurance company attempts to shift the blame for your crash to you.
Time Limits for Filing a Bicycle Accident Claim
South Carolina, like all states, has a statute of limitations that applies to personal injury claims. This law limits the amount of time that you have to file a claim if you have been hurt by someone else’s negligence. In most personal injury claims, including bicycle accidents, the statute of limitations in South Carolina is three years from the date of the accident.
Because of the statute of limitations, you should not wait to get legal help. At McKinney, Tucker & Lemel, LLC, we will immediately investigate what happened to you, and we will promptly begin the process of pursuing all compensation that you are entitled to receive. We will ensure that your claim is timely and properly filed, and we will take care of all other aspects of your claim so that you and your family can focus on your physical recovery.
Our Rock Hill Bicycle Accident Attorneys Can Help with Your Claim
The personal injury attorneys at McKinney, Tucker & Lemel, LLC, have deep ties to the Rock Hill community, and we have dedicated ourselves to protecting the rights of people just like you. If you have been hurt in a bike accident due to someone else’s negligence, we are here to help. Call or reach us online today to schedule a free consultation about your case.