Fort Mill is a beautiful place to get around on by bicycle, but it can also be quite dangerous. Drivers do not watch for cyclists the same way they watch for other vehicles. So, they often turn into them at intersections, open doors in their path and act in a manner that is dangerous to those on bikes. When this negligence occurs, and bicyclists get hurt, they can file a claim against the negligent driver.
However, it is important for injured cyclists know that there is a limited time to take legal action after a bike accident. The statute of limitations for filing a personal injury claim in Fort Mill and throughout South Carolina is three years from the date of the injury. For this reason, you should seek help from an experienced attorney at McKinney, Tucker & Lemel LLC, as soon as possible. To discuss your case, contact us today and receive a free consultation.
Why Should You Hire a Lawyer After a Bicycle Accident?
Generally speaking, you should not try to file a bicycle accident claim on your own. There are many ways a bicycle accident lawyer can help you and give you a better chance with your case. After reviewing your case, a bicycle accident lawyer at McKinney, Tucker & Lemel LLC, will explain the traffic and personal injury laws and how they apply to your claim and help you to understand and explore all of your options.
Before filing your claim, we will also conduct a full investigation and collect evidence to establish your right to compensation. Our lawyers know what kind of evidence is most important for a claim and how to obtain it. We will use this evidence to build your case and seek all damages which you are entitled to receive.
We will also negotiate with the insurance company and communicate with them on your behalf. This is important. The insurer will use many strategies in an attempt to deny you the compensation that you deserve. For example, the insurance company may try to get you to admit fault – even if it means taking your words out of context – so that the insurer can deny your claim and retain its profits.
What Are Common Causes of Bicycle Accidents?
As we have seen over the years at McKinney, Tucker & Lemel LLC, negligent drivers cause a great deal of the bicycle accidents in Fort Mill and surrounding areas. Motorists commit negligent acts in a number of ways, including:
- Driving while distracted – Texting while driving is illegal in Fort Mill and throughout South Carolina. Still, that does not mean that all motorists comply with the law. When drivers take their hands off the wheel and their eyes and focus off the road, it can be disastrous for bicyclists.
- Driving while impaired – When drivers operate a vehicle while impaired, it takes their focus off of the road, causes perception issues and leads them to drive dangerously. Bicyclists, like anyone else on or near the road, gets put in danger.
- Failure to yield – Drivers do not always respect the rights of cyclists on the road. When they fail to give bicyclists the room they need and do not provide the right-of-way when necessary, accidents happen.
- Failing to check mirrors and blind spots – It is hazardous any time a motorist fails to check mirrors and blind spots. However, when a cyclist is traveling alongside a vehicle, and the driver does not check their mirrors and blind spots, it usually does not end well for the cyclist.
- Passing without enough room – Again, drivers do not always realize that bikes are also a type of vehicle that has a right to be on the road. As a result, they do not provide cyclists with the appropriate amount of room they need and end up crashing into the bike.
- Dooring – Even when drivers pay more attention to cyclists on the road, they may forget to check for them when exiting their car. When this occurs, drivers may open their vehicle door right into the path of a bike.
Sadly, these are just some of the most common ways bicyclists can get hurt while sharing the road with careless and reckless drivers. If you believe that a driver’s negligence caused your crash in Fort Mill, contact us without delay to learn about your legal rights and options.
What Injuries Commonly Occur in Bicycle Accidents?
Just as motorcyclists are susceptible to road rash during a crash, so too are bicyclists. Road rash occurs when a cyclist’s arm or hand scrapes along the ground and results in cuts that can become infected. Some of the most common signs of road rash include:
- Difficulty moving
- Lack of movement
Other injuries that cyclists suffer from after a crash include:
When these injuries occur, cyclists should first seek medical attention and then speak to a lawyer that can help them claim the compensation they deserve. We are available at McKinney, Tucker & Lemel LLC, to review your case and help you to get your injuries fully evaluated.
What Damages Can You Seek After a Bicycle Accident?
A bicycle accident claim can potentially provide many different types of damages, including compensation for:
- Medical bills – A bicycle accident claim can include any expense related to medical care, including surgical treatments, medications, chiropractic care and rehabilitation costs.
- Lost income – When you include lost income in your claim, you can claim not only your lost wages, but also sick days, vacation leave, bonuses and benefits. You may also seek compensation for the decrease in your earning ability.
- Pain and suffering – Although this loss is challenging to calculate, the physical pain and suffering after an accident is still a type of damages that you can claim.
- Emotional distress – Being involved in a bicycle accident is a very traumatic experience. When cyclists have a difficult time moving past the accident or develop nightmares, they can include that loss in their claim.
- Punitive damages – These damages are not meant to compensate victims for their losses but, instead, to punish the at-fault party for their extremely careless behavior.
These are just a few types of damages that can be included in a claim after a bike accident. We will carefully review your case in order to determine the damages available to you.
Get Help from a Fort Mill Bicycle Accident Attorney
If you have been injured in a bicycle accident, it is important that you speak to a bicycle accident attorney in Fort Mill today. At McKinney, Tucker & Lemel LLC, we are dedicated to helping accident victims. We are ready to put our decades of experience to work for you, too. Contact us today to get started with a free consultation.