Back and spine injuries are among the most serious injuries that people suffer in motor vehicle accidents in South Carolina. These painful and devastating injuries change victims’ lives. They impact the lives of their family members as well. If you or a loved one has suffered one of these injuries in an auto accident or any other type of incident involving another person’s negligence, you need to work with an attorney who will understand your injury and know what it takes to pursue just compensation for you. Contact our Rock Hill personal injury lawyers today!
At McKinney, Tucker & Lemel, LLC, we can help you to rebuild your life. We will focus on how a back or spine injury has affected you and your loved ones and aggressively seek an outcome that addresses the harm that you have suffered. Experience, compassion and attention to detail will be our guiding principles throughout your case.
To learn more about how our spine and back injury lawyers can assist you, call or reach us online today. We are based in Rock Hill and serve clients throughout surrounding communities in South Carolina. Our consultations are always free.
- 1 How Our Rock Hill Back and Spine Injury Lawyers Can Help You
- 2 Understanding Back and Spine Injuries
- 3 Common Causes of Back and Spine Injury in Rock Hill
- 4 Legal Options for Back and Spine Injury Victims in Rock Hill
- 5 Compensation for Back and Spine Injuries
- 6 How Long Do You Have to Bring a Back and Spine Injury Lawsuit?
- 7 Contact Our Rock Hill Back and Spine Injury Attorneys Today
How Our Rock Hill Back and Spine Injury Lawyers Can Help You
A catastrophic personal injury case requires a great deal of skill to resolve. Our firm will pay close attention to the details as we carefully work through each aspect of your back and spine injury case. The services our legal team at McKinney, Tucker & Lemel can provide to you include:
- Free Consultation – It all starts with a close review of the facts. We listen closely and look for all possible options in your case. Sometimes, the smallest details can make a major difference in a case. Additionally, we can answer any questions you may have about your legal rights and the process your case may involve.
- Full investigation – We will gather all evidence that we need to establish liability and damages in your back and spine injury case. As part of our investigation, we will gather your medical records, talk with doctors, meet with law enforcement officers, review photos and video and document the scene of your accident.
- Tracking of your medical care and treatment – Serious back and spine injuries typically require lengthy and expensive medical care. Making matters worse, you may be unable to work due to your injury. We can work with your health care provider or other creditors if you encounter any problems with your medical expenses and bills while your case is being resolved. Your health and well-being will always be our top priority.
- Consultation with experts – We may consult with highly-qualified medical experts to review your injuries and treatment. Experts can help us to better understand how your injuries will affect you in the long-term. They can also help us to present a persuasive case to the insurance company or to the jury.
- Settlement negotiations – We recognize that our clients want to wrap up their cases sooner rather than later. We will use our decades of experience and our strong reputation as skilled litigators to leverage your case for settlement.
- Presentation of your case at trial – We resolve many cases through settlement negotiations. However, we are highly skilled litigators. We will be ready to go to trial and take on the insurance company in the courtroom.
We know how many people in South Carolina are concerned about paying for a lawyer – even when they have suffered life-changing harm such as a back and spine injury. We will represent you on a contingency fee basis. So, you will not pay a fee for our legal services unless we secure compensation for you.
Understanding Back and Spine Injuries
The back and spine have several components that are highly susceptible to damage in a car crash or other type of accident. Those components include:
- Brain stem – This is the trunk at the base of the skull which follows downward into the spinal cord. If the brain stem sustains damage in an accident, a person can suffer breathing difficulty, speech problems, balance issues, dizziness, nausea and many other health problems.
- Spinal cord – This consists of the nerves and fibers that control your entire body. Damage to the spinal cord can cause paralysis. A complete spinal cord injury results in a total lack of sensation and function below the injury site. With an incomplete spinal cord injury, a person may still have some sensation or function below the point of the injury. The higher the point of injury, the more severe damage a person will suffer. For instance, a lower spinal cord injury may result in paraplegia (loss of function and sensation in the lower extremities). However, a person with an injury in the middle or upper back may suffer from quadriplegia (paralysis in all four limbs).
- Spinal column – This structure protects the spinal cord. It consists of vertebrae, which are made of bone and cartilage. When damaged, vertebrae can fracture, shatter or become dislocated. A victim may suffer excruciating pain and discomfort. In the worst cases, underlying damage to the nerves inside the spinal cord can cause paralysis or permanent pain, tingling, numbness or immobility.
- Discs – These are small “shock absorbers” that lie between each vertebra. They are made of cartilage. They help your spine to flex and bend. However, spinal column damage can cause bulging or herniated discs. These injuries can be highly painful and debilitating.
Common Causes of Back and Spine Injury in Rock Hill
A person can injure his or her back in many different kinds of accidents. Sadly, in many situations, people suffer these life-changing events due to the negligence of other people. Common cases in which these injuries occur include:
- Car, truck and motorcycle accidents
- Pedestrian and bicycle accidents
- Slip and falls
- Swimming pool accidents
- Construction site and other workplace accidents.
Our law firm will work hard to determine the cause of the back or spine injury in your case and to identify all parties who should be held responsible.
Legal Options for Back and Spine Injury Victims in Rock Hill
Depending on your case, you may have a number of options for recovering compensation for your injuries, including:
- Negligent party’s insurance – Our firm will investigate and determine if the at-fault individual has insurance coverage or assets that may be available to compensate you. For instance, if a negligent driver caused your back or spine injury, we would look at the driver’s auto insurance liability policy. If your injury occurred due to a dangerous property condition, the party’s homeowner’s insurance or a commercial liability policy may cover your damages.
- Your own insurance – The at-fault party may lack insurance or lack insurance that fully covers your losses. This issue commonly arises in auto accidents. If necessary, we can turn to your own auto insurance policy such and pursue compensation through your uninsured or underinsured motorist (UM/UIM) coverage. We will make sure your insurance company treats you fairly throughout the claims process.
Keep in mind: An insurance company may try to blame you in order to reduce the amount it pays or to avoid paying your claim altogether. We know how insurance companies operate. Our attorneys will vigorously challenge any insurance company attempt to shift fault to you.
Compensation for Back and Spine Injuries
The law in South Carolina provides for specific types of damages that a victim can claim in a personal injury lawsuit. Spinal injury can result in permanent disability, an inability to return to work and lifelong medical complications that carry extraordinary expenses. Our firm will seek maximum compensation for you, including damages that cover:
- Past and future medical bills, including surgery and physical therapy
- Costs for adaptive equipment or housing renovations
- Lost earnings and lost future earning potential
- Pain and suffering
- Emotional distress
- Punitive damages (if warranted).
At McKinney, Tucker & Lemel, we know that no attorney can undo the back or spinal cord damage that you have suffered. However, we also realize that compensation can play a vital role in the recovery process for you and your family. We are committed to seeking the best possible outcome in your case and helping you to move ahead in life. No one should suffer the disastrous effects of a spinal cord injury when someone else is responsible for it.
How Long Do You Have to Bring a Back and Spine Injury Lawsuit?
A back and spine injury is a form of personal injury. In South Carolina, you have only three years to bring a lawsuit for this type of injury. Do not take chances. If you believe that you have a case, you will risk nothing if you speak with one of our attorneys. We will not charge you for the consultation, and you will not pay any legal fees unless we obtain compensation for you. The real risk lies in failing to take legal action and waiting too long to get the legal guidance and representation you need.
Contact Our Rock Hill Back and Spine Injury Attorneys Today
If you or a loved one has suffered serious back or spine injury due to someone else’s negligence, you can count on McKinney, Tucker & Lemel to provide compassionate and highly professional legal assistance. You won’t have to deal with your injuries alone. We are here to help. From our conveniently located office in Rock Hill, we represent clients throughout surrounding communities. Contact us today and let us review your case in a free consultation.